2.08.2011

Conclusion for Week One

So I guess that concludes my first official week of blogging. How thrilling! I don't think I’ll be doing a conclusion every week but I figured for the first week it might be a good idea. And I know I promised that I wouldn't ramble on and on to often, so hopefully this isn't too bad!


Exploring what it was like to be a woman in the Middle East specifically, Afghanistan, Iran and Saudi Arabia has been such an eye opener. There are so many things that I just had no idea were going on. It is kind of cool how doing this type of research can affect a person. What I mean by that is that in my daily conversations with friends I actually started sharing the random facts that I was learning. I had the opportunity to discuss different opinions about the issues that women have faced in this area of world; such as why are they even facing these issues in the first place, are they more so political issues or issues of religion? And this is what I think it’s all about…talking about it, asking questions and raising awareness. I also was trying to find a way that I could do something for women of the Middle Eastern area. I came across something on the Amnesty International site and it’s so simple. I signed an online petition for basic human rights in Israel regarding the investigation violations by Palestinian armed groups after the 2008-09 conflict, no one in Gaza has been brought to justice for abuses during the conflict.


You are right it is not one of the three countries I researched but it is in the Middle East. And no it is not just or directly related to women although along with the men and children they were equally affected. I also think that this specific conflict is something that could easily happen all over the Middle East as war has been on and off in those countries throughout history. But the point is that by signing this we are actually doing something, we are showing that we are aware and that we care, it feels good to actually play a part in making a difference. I was the one thousandth six hundredth and fifty seventh person to sign the petition online, it will call on the UN Human Rights council to take action to ensure international justice for all Palestinian and Israeli victims of the 2008-9 conflict in Gaza and southern Israel. You guys can read about this conflict and sign the petition as well! Sign the petition HERE 



So there you have it, that’s my action for the week. But that’s not the end. This project is just beginning and I’m so excited to see where it will go!


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment